Affiliate Marketing – What Is It?
If you’ve been online for any length of time you’ve probably heard of affiliate marketing and affiliate programs.
Affiliate marketing is one of the best business models you can use to build a thriving online business doing what you love to do.
Millions of people have and are creating fulltime online incomes from their passions and hobbies.
This includes myself. I’ve been making a fulltime income as an affiliate marketer since 2005.
What Is Affiliate Marketing?
In the simplest terms you’re an online commission sales person. Which means you get a percentage of every sale of the item/service that you’re marketing as an affiliate.
What Exactly Is An Affiliate Program?
An affiliate program is a partnership between an affiliate (you) and a merchant (the company), where you the affiliate receives a commission for referring sales/leads to a merchants online store.
There are thousands and thousands of businesses online that have products and services to sell. And they want to have their products and services placed in front of as many people as possible.
And the most cost effect and efficient way of doing this online is by offering an affiliate program.
By partnering with affiliates it allows companies to create an army of sales people generating more sales, more traffic and extending their brand.
Here’s How It Works:
The process is very simple.
1) You join an affiliate program, once you do you will be given a unique ID, as well as access to the companies affiliate resources.
Depending on the company these resources can have everything from banners, sales copy, email responder series, articles to complete marketing strategies.
2) Now you market their product through your website, newsletter or any other method that is approved by the company. You will find some companies may have marketing restrictions.
3) A visitor to your site or through your newsletter clicks on your affiliate link. And if they purchases the product or service you’re marketing you make a commission for the sale.
What Ways Can You Earn Commissions?
There are 4 ways you can earn affiliate commissions:
1) (PPS) – Pay Per Sale. This is the most popular way of earning money. You get a percentage of the sales amount of a product or service purchased.
2) (PPC) – Pay Per Click – When a visitor comes to your site and clicks on an ad you get paid.
3) (PPL) Pay Per Lead – you get paid for every lead you send the company – this would be contact information, such as the persons name, physical address, email address and sometimes even a person phone number
4) (PPA) Pay Per Action – similar to PPL – with PPA – you get a commission when someone performs an action – such as downloading free software or signing up for a free trial membership.
How Much Does It Cost To Get Started As An Affiliate?
This is the best part – it costs Nothing to become an affiliate.
Most people do not have their own product or service, so that’s why affiliate marketing is one of the best business models to use when starting online.
Where Can You Find Affiliate Programs?
You can find affiliate programs every where. You’ll find many companies will have their affiliate program listed in an Affiliate Network.
You will need to registrar with each affiliate network in order to gain access to all the merchants they represent.
Some of the better affiliate networks are:
CJ.Com – Commission Junction. Here you will find physical products from thousands of companies Everyone from Weight Watchers to Anthony Robbins is listed here.
ClickBank.com – Click bank products are only downloadable products no physical products here. The up side is you can get larger commissions some as high as 75%.
ShareASale.com – Share a sale has pay-per-sale, pay-per-lead, and pay-per-click programs.
AsSeenOnPC.com – With as seen on PC you will find products from No No Hair to the Snuggie.
MarketHealth.com – Many of their products have been seen on shows such as Dr. Oz.
Amazon – Not an affiliate network, however Amazon is the big boy for affiliates – there are millions of products to suit all types of customers.
Amazon commissions are low – but you can make that up in volume because amazon is a very trusted brand.
Little Tip: Do not get stuck using just one affiliate network or program. You will find that having diverse relationships will increase your sales. One size does not fit all.
Where Else Can I Find Affiliate Programs?
Another way of finding an affiliate program is to simply search for it using Google.
So if you know the company you want to be an affiliate for or you simply want to find out if they have an affiliate program, just put the companies name plus “Affiliate Program” into Google.
So let’s say I wanted to find out about weight watchers – just put “weight watchers affiliate program” in Google search. My search results are in the image below.
Now you can check out their affiliate program.
Little Tip: A lot of websites have a link to their affiliate programs in the footer of their website.
Is There Training To Become A Successful Affiliate Marketer?
There sure is!!
If you’re serious about creating a fulltime income online with affiliate marketing then I highly recommend you check out the community I’m a very proud and active member of the wealthy affiliate.
Here you’ll have the support and training from some of the most successful affiliate marketers in the world – and the best part is it’s absolutely free to join.
I hope you found this information helpful.
If you need help with anything I have talked about here please leave your question or comment below.
I believe in you!